Wednesday, June 03, 2009

So, I attended mandatory "sensitivity training" today at the library. It was HORRIBLE! Evidently someone was rude to a disabled person so the entire city staff had to attend and hear stuff like "Is it okay to say "See you tomorrow" to a blind person?" Let me just repeat, HORRIBLE!!!!

Anyway, It did remind me that I deal with disabled people on a regular basis. I had a girl come up to the desk and she was so rude. She sat on the desk, spent the whole time leaning over my screen and keyboard, in my personal space, and being generally short, and rude. After she left a lady came up to me and said "Hi, that was my daughter, she has Asperger's Syndrome, how was she to deal with, could I help her be better?" Wow, I felt guilty for all the rude things I was thinking about her. I realized that there are definitely reasons that people act the way they do, and I shouldn't be so judgmental.

Anyway, I learned nothing at the training, but my on the job training has helped me to be more accepting of disabled and homeless people. People that I would have never interacted with had I not had this job. Something I am very grateful for!

No comments: