Friday, May 22, 2009

Working in libraries for 4 years, I have learned a thing or two about people. I find that there are certain genre's of customers. Here are my observations:

-
Embarrassed patron - they don't want to ask you questions and only do so under duress. They usually preface their question with "This is a really stupid question". They feel badly that they interrupted you and try to keep the interaction as short as possible. Reassuring them doesn't seem to do any good, they insist on feeling awful.

-
Smarmy guy (or girl) - Cute guy that has learned that if he turns on the charm with the opposite sex they will either get extra help, or can turn a no to a yes. Usually asks you to bend the rules just for them. This type irritates me because on the occasion that I do have to say no and stick with it, their facade falls away and you see their REAL personality. Not pretty at all. Give me an average guy over these types any day of the week.

-
Mean old man - Get angry right away about some total reasonable rule. Will not listen to your patient explanation, and demands to complain to the director. Do not bother trying to reason with them if you are female and under the age of 60. They WILL NOT LISTEN and may become belligerent. Just say as little as possible and eventually they will run out of steam and leave.

-
Patron that uses your name - as in "Hi Danette, what a pretty name, where does it come from?" Now, this may sound nice, but really, I don't want people using my name. I want to help them, and making weird small talk about my name just wastes time. This type really thinks that they are humanizing you, making it seem that we are on the same level. But I'm not embarrassed to be helping them, so using my name is not necessary. Unless of course they are also wearing a name badge and I can say, "Yes Brad, I would be happy to find that book for you"

-
The Normal patron - thankfully 70% of the patrons I deal with are great. They appreciate your quick service and let you know. If they get bad news they take it in stride and don't take it out on you. This is who I strive to be when I go out into the world.

And on the school side let me just say....20% of kids will always ask for a second sucker. They are not happy that they have been given 1 sucker, they feel that 2 suckers would be better and the only way to get one is to ask. Sometimes repeatedly. These types have a future in sales because they never take no for an answer.

2 comments:

Breanne said...

Haha! Love this. Yes, you were there for my rude comment - remember smarmy guy who said, "No wonder you're not married!" to me? So rude. Of course, I told a room of single co-workers, so they were especially offended for me. It was so great.

Danette said...

Ha, that was funny. It was all about his ego, he liked that I was looking to see if he was married or not.